Monday, May 19, 2014

{basics on styling}

First real post! Woohoo! I'm going to start with something really really simple. The basics on arranging items on a table top, shelf, bookcase, etc. In this case I'm going to use my cart that I simply adore. I'll try digging up before shots of the cart for another post! I am going to show you 4 ways to arrange things and tell you why the first 3 don't work as well. So let's check out the picture and I'll break it down. {and please ignore the messy blanket basket}

{click on the picture to enlarge}

So, starting with picture A, you may notice one thing out of place. I had this arrangement up for a couple days before I realized it was off balance. What sticks out to you? The black frame sticks out to me. It doesn't fit in front of the board because everything {other than the red} is pretty light in color and on the end there are two dark items so it makes the right side too heavy. So option A is a no go. 

For B, I wanted to show you what happens when you divide things by color or try and make both ends matchy, matchy. See how unbalanced that looks? The colors and textures should be intermixed to give it much more dimension. So say no to B. 

C may or may not be obvious to you. One thing that can be tricky about decorating a surface, is being able to find balance between one side and another. While you don't always have to have things perfectly the same, like a mirrored image {ie: matching vases or candlesticks on each end, the same frame next to that, the same candle next to the frame, etc. until everything meets in the middle} you do want to have...once again...balance. So if on one end of your surface you have a really tall lamp, you don't want the other end to have wimpy little candle holders. You need something on the other end, again..doesn't have to be a duplicate item..to even things out. So as you can see in picture C, I have two tall items on the left and shorter items on the right. Doesn't it look off? Now one option you do have if you really like the tall items on one side, or maybe you only have one tall item..you can always hang something on the other side instead of trying to come up with another tall piece. So I could move the wall hanging shown in the picture to the right and that could be my piece that gives it all harmony. {I had to use a thesaurus to come up with another word for balance! ha!} Just make sure you hang the piece at the right height. 

That leaves picture D. That's the one I landed on. There are probably about 30 more ways I could arrange these pieces so this definitely isn't the only option but this works the best, in my eyes out of the four options. You have balance on each end, layering of colors and textures. Staggering items gives dimension. And overall it just felt like the right combination to me {until I get bored and move things around}. 

And one last tip. When it comes to styling, less is usually more. That's my rule of thumb anyway. I have gotten more bold with my styling over the years but I still like things to look clean and edited. Arrange things the way you think you want them and then step back and see if anything needs to be tweaked or removed. Or look again in an hour. I sometimes change things up 10 times over the course of a couple days. Some people would put three items on this cart {I usually group things by 3..more on that later} some people would put 20 so ultimately it comes down to what you like visually. Just don't overwhelm a piece of furniture. Too many items will distract the eye from the things you really want to see. 

I really hope these tips can help you tackle any hard to decorate surfaces you have in your own home! Please comment below and feel free to ask any questions you have about this topic! Happy Decorating!

 photo Untitled1111_zpsb3c7f4e9.png

25 comments:

  1. That was so educational! seriously helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you for commenting Jenne and I'm really glad it was helpful!!

      Delete
  2. What an AMAZING signature!!! You did it!!! :) And also, great post! You have such an eye for balance and color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did!!! I solved all of my code dilemmas all by myself! Yay! Thanks, Megan!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you're my friend. I mean, I would love you no matter what, but your natural talent for these things that I totally don't get is amazing. I feel like with you around I might actually have a prayer of not completely failing at decorating our next house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha....more than happy to help Ang!! Thanks :)

      Delete
  4. Great post, Faith! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and ideas. I look forward to gleaning lots of inspiration. Now, I am off to make sure i have balance in my groupings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!!!! Now, I'm off to evaluate my mantel (and piano top, and night stand, and....) :) SO glad you're doing this Faith! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Have fun decrating!

      Delete
  6. Love it! I agree wIth everyone else, you are so talented :) I knew we'd be friends forever when you rearranged your living room as much as me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it. also love the design name. for more than one reason. good job.

    mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, love YOU! That cart looks great in your living room, by the way, I meant to tell you that the other night. Keep them coming sister, looks like you're a hit! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ton! Love you too! Having the support of my friends and family means more to me than you all know!!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to see your maiden post!! And just for the record, I hate matchy matchy so much that often my socks don't even match! (The truth.) Great job, Faith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you Teedub...now, I'm not sure I know a Teedub? Dare you expose your true identity?

      Delete
    2. Hahahahaha!! It's Teri W... I totally forgot that was my google identity. I received that precious monicker years ago when I was a youth pastor, and it just kinda stuck. Friends that have known me for a good while still call me that.

      Delete
    3. Oh of course...I was racking my brain...thanks Teri :)

      Delete
  11. You are so good, my friend!! I was just looking at my mantel tonight moving things around...I'm going to go switch it up again! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete